A Place for Divalicious Inspiration!

Monday, September 5, 2011

What's Black, White, & read all over?

We all remember that riddle from our elementary age.  The answer..the newspaper!  Who cares?  Well our challenge this month revolves around the fact that September is American Newspaper Month!!
"Publick Occurrences, Both Foreign and Domestick, the first newspaper published in America, was printed by Richard Pierce and edited by Benjamin Harris in Boston on September 25, 1690. It filled only 3 of 4 six by ten inch pages of a folded sheet of paper. The journalist stated in his his first (and only) issue that he would issue the newspaper "once a month, or, if any Glut of Occurrences happen, oftener." " You can read all about it at History Buff.com, which is where I copied the above paragraph.  (My daughter-in-law is a History Major, and we get daily--"this day in history" and National Celebration of history updates from her!)

   So I thought for our challenge this month, we would do a newspaper theme.  There are options and choices with this...and restrictions!
  •  MUST use colors black, white, & red only, with red only being about 20% of the layout.
  • Option A: Do a newspaper type theme...write your journaling like a paper article, use the comic strip format, (like I did) or make your page a newspaper ad.
  • Option B: Use a pattern paper with a newspaper print or feel to it. Not a letter, but dictionary pages are ok.

Yes I know I am being specific!  That's why it is a challenge!   Let me show you what I did..
I dug DEEP into my stash and came up with some black & white paper.  I didn't have a clue what to do with the crosswords paper, but it came in one of the packets from WalMart, when I first started scrapping. (never get rid of anything, you may some day know how to use it!)  Snoopy is my personal hero so I have lot's of papers and stickers, but didn't know how to work it into a layout either!
And here is my page.  I did a bit of fussy cutting and added my own captions to the bubbles.
Don't laugh, but I didn't have the alphabets I wanted to use at crop at Archiver's Friday (or my scissors or trimmer!  Packing is not my strong point!)  So I bought 5 different kinds of stickers!  Actually 6, but chose not to use them!  My second page will continue with random odd pictures that don't really go anywhere!  I love the picture of my grand-daughter Evelyn putting her foot in her mouth. Took that when they were here for 3 weeks this summer.  And who doesn't like to "dress up"  their dentures? They are not mine, if you are wondering! Nice hat!
    Here's a close up of 3 of the stickers. I love the Funny Pages chipboard...they are Cosmo Cricket.  I had to buy the red and the black set.  So you will see them again for sure!
   So I am excited to see what you come up with for your challenge project.  Remember the deadline is September 30, at 11:59 CST. 
What are you challenging for? How about the yummy new Basic Grey, Out of Print
Paper set.  It comes with 8  double-sided pattern paper. I love this.  So, get out your
adhesives and let's get it going.

Pammie Kay

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.


17 comments:

Luisa said...

Love your challenge Pam! Now need to find some newspaper pp.
Glad that the challenge last all month long!!!

Karenladd said...

Woo hoo! I actually have some text and newsprint papers that I can use!

Unknown said...

This is a true challenge!!! Love it

Unknown said...

Girls you don't have to use newspaper pp...in option a just use a format "like" a newspaper...or an ad

bless her heart said...

Love this challenge! I have some great newspaper prints from October Afternoon that will be fun to use! Can't wait to get started! BTW - love your project!
~ Stephanie

Unknown said...

Finished it! Hope you like it, made the kites myself....

Unknown said...

I love it Nanette! It fits the challenge and your kites are so cute! Thanks for playing.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to this one! Great Idea for a LO!

Michelle Sanchez said...

Does it have to be a LO? Can it be a card?

Michelle Sanchez said...

I hope a card was ok! I just linked my project!

Nancy said...

What a great page! I love the title and the photos are a hoot! So fun! Thanks Pammie!...Nancy :o)

Unknown said...

Cards are fine...I forget that not all of us are layouts ladies! Loved your card...thanks for playing!

Karenladd said...

Glad to hear a card is okay as well. I've been really in the card making mood and I have lots of birthdays coming up!

Karenladd said...

Fun challenge! I just emailed my card to Sandy to post and used two stamps that I've been wanting to try out for some time. Love the black, white and pop of red color scheme!

Unknown said...

Karen your card is great! I love your typewriter stamp...it worked perfectly with the theme. Thanks...enjoy the rest of National Newspaper month!

Nancy said...

Whew!! I made it!! I had a great time with this one Pammie! I hope it fits in with the rules okay! Thank you!...Nancy :o)

Luisa said...

Nanette, Karen Ladd, Michelle S, Nancy! THANKS A LOT FOR PLAYING WITH THE DIVAS!!!
We will choose a winner tomorrow for this challenge. Sorry for the "month long" delay!