A Place for Divalicious Inspiration!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

October's Guest DT Diva- Lisa West



About me...
 I live in a rural town in southern Maine with my husband and two elementary age girls. I love to "create" any chance I get. I enjoy scrapbooking but I really love experimenting with new techniques for homemade embellishments as well as minibooks, collages and altering projects. My interest in blogging has become sharing  the "how-tos" of what I enjoy creating to become an inspiration as well as finding your corner of the art world for inspiration and ideas. I  love sharing what I am actually able to finish during this busy time of life with 2 little ones. 

How long have you been scrapbooking?
I started scrapbooking about 8yrs ago when I was invited to my first Creative Memories party. I have since seeked out all the different styles of scrapbooking and beyond.
What is your scrapbook style?
I love texture and embellishments within my scrapbook pages. I seem to start with a color or a theme for a lay-out that supplements the pictures which helps tell the story. 
Where do you create your projects?
 I create in my daylight basement. I slowly took over a section where I hung 4x8 piece of pegboard over a long table area surrounded by cubes and boxes. I love to find ways to organize!
What is your favorite scrapbooking tools/colors/techniques?
Because I enjoy embellishments,  I have to say I love many techniques from using alcohol inks, textured paint, grungeboard, stamping,clay, fabric and of course, layers and distress techniques. I just bought a BigKick because I love Tim Holtz and his products. I haven't had a chance to use it yet :(
Where do you find inspiration?
So Tim Holtz is definately an inspiration along with blogging to find ladies like those within the Diva's blog. I'm so pleased we are continuing on with the CSD site.
What is favorite scrapbooking tip?
My favorite tip is not to be afraid to alter embellishments. This includes altering everyday finds and treasures to use within your work.  Using the above tools and techniques promises unique pages and lots of fun.
----------------------------------------------------



As a guest this month, the challenge I chose includes ways to alter cardstock for your projects.

For the first example, I used a Heidi Swapp mask. The masks are flexible and a bit sticky on one side. Using glitter spray or ink, color all around the mask then gently lift the mask. In it's place you will have the white background still showing.



Below is my final project. I chose to blend some inks over the shape vs leaving it white and decorated with rub-ons, 3d flowers ect. Tim Holtz has a great video on other ways to use masks.

Don't forget you can make your own glimmer mist. One way is to use perfect pearls and a bit of water in a mini mister. Tim uses re-inkers to the mix on This Project using this exact mask. 


My second example of how to alter cardstock is using metallic cardstock and alcohol inks.
Alcohol inks can be used on a variety of surfaces that pigment and dye inks won't stick to. So it's really fun to experiment on metals, brads, glass, plastics, glossy paper and transparencies.

Below I took black metallic glittered cardstock and used cranberry alcohol ink to change the color for this pillowbox.

This tag background is glossy (shiny) paper altered with the alcohol inks, blending tool and Adirondack alochol blending solution.

This is the same technique used on a transparency. The layer is pulled to the side. See the full project Here.


For the challenge, choose a way to completely change the look of your cardstock,  glossy cardstock or transparency for any project or scrapbook page.  If using glossy paper or transparency is new to you, now is a great time to dive in!! Have fun and I can't wait to see the projects you come up with. 
All participants names will go into a hat and there will be a RAK given to one person after a drawing on October 31st.  



Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

15 comments:

Karenladd said...

Oh Lisa, you are a stamper after my own heart!! I love using transparencies, alcohol inks and other supplies to give my cardstock a custom look. I also even make my own glimmer mist because, let's face it, glimmer mist is expensive! I'm going to have fun with this challenge!

Jessica Buffa said...

Lisa, these are super fantastic. I have been wanting alcohol inks for so long and now I want them even more so I can try this out! TFS the awesome tips and your tags are beautiful!
:O)
Jessica

bless her heart said...

What a great challenge Lisa! Definitely outside my comfort zone, but I'm looking forward to trying something new! Thanks for the "push"!
~ Stephanie

Nancy said...

Hi Lisa! What a wonderful variety of great projects! It's all so much fun! I won some of Tim's glossy paper a little while ago and haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!...Nancy :o)

Unknown said...

I've started with the challenge. But wow it is hard to make somethng that can match your beautiful examples!

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

Awe, you are sweet Nanette but it can be so tough to make a final decision on a project. I can be too practical sometimes so to help me focus I have to think about what am I going to do with the final outcome and what am I trying say or show with it. For me it usually has to do with family or memories if it isn't a gift I am making. Have fun!!

Karenladd said...

Whew, finally finished photographing my two projects and just need to link them. I just love using alcohol inks and glossy cardstock...so that's what I did!
Your samples are so gorgeous!! LOVE that beautiful card with the bird and tree. Looks like you used alcohol ink on the snowflake too?

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

Yippeee! I'm so glad you were able to do the project Karen. I left you some comments on your link. I just love the outcome of the blending and colors on both pieces. Thanks so much for linking up!! Lisa

Luisa said...

Karen, your 2 cards are great. Love them!
There is still chance to enter this challenge ladies!!! Hurry, hurry!

Nancy said...

Uh oh!! Something went terribly wrong with my Mister Linky! lol My #4 has the right picture but the link to my last project, #5 is just wrong, #6 has no photo but the correct link! I've never had an issue before but I can't find a delete button! HELP!!
Oh well, Lisa! You asked for it, you got it, kind of! haha...Nancy :o)

Karenladd said...

Thanks for your comments on my link Lisa! Yes, I had a great time playing with alcohol inks and transparencies!

Karenladd said...

Nancy, your birdhouse is awesome! I rarely do 3-D projects so I admire those who can work with them and come up with such beautiful results! And ha ha...you had me running in circles, trying to follow the links to nowhere!!

Nancy said...

Thanks so much for putting in the effort Karen! lol I don't know what happened...it's not like I haven't done it before with no problems at all! We'll just blame it on a "glitch"! ;o)
I finally got a chance to look at your projects and they're fabulous! Thanks for sharing them!...Nancy :o)

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

That is ok Nancy, the links still take us to your blog for the pictures and description. So cool we had some great entries. OK, stay tuned for the winner! Lisa

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

I think Sandy will be posting the winner of the combined "change it up paper challenges" but I didn't want to make you all wait any longer. Congrats Karen Ladd!! If you could send me your mailing address, I would love to send you a RAK. west_lm@yahoo.com Thanks everyone for playing!! Lisa